There are several types of stair stepper exercise machine. A traditional type has two pedals where you put your feet. The other one is a vertical climber, and it mimics stair or ladder climbing.
Another great thing is that they come with moving handlebars, so you get an arm workout as well, which is a highly praised feature in a lot of stair stepper reviews. Some of them also allow you to adjust the speed. And finally there is also a stair climber that looks like a mini escalator.
Women’s Health Men’s Health
Women’s Health Men’s Health
Stair Stepper Benefits
- It is a very efficient machine when it comes to burning calories. On average, you can burn anywhere between 180 and 260 calories for a 30-minute workout on the best stair stepper. However, depending on your current weight and training intensity, you can burn more.
- It is designed for aerobic training, which is efficient for boosting cardiovascular health. It also improves lung functions and increases the amount of oxygen delivered to the body.
- Because you have to maintain balance while climbing, it also strengthens your core muscles. If your core is strong, you will have better posture and consequently less lower back pain.
As a low-impact exercise machine, it is generally safe. However, if you have a problem with your knees, you can experience some pain or discomfort while using it.
Elliptical Machine Overview
The elliptical trainer is one of the gym-goers favorites. It is stationary equipment, designed to mimic running, walking, and stair climbing. However, exercising on this machine doesn’t put a strain on the joints, so there is a minimal risk of injury, as long as you’re careful. It is a very versatile machine that allows you to do high-intensity interval training and standard cardio exercises.
Elliptical Machine Benefits
- Working on this trainer improves the capacity of your cardiovascular system. When you do this type of cardio workout, your lungs and heart work more. As a result, they pump more oxygen into your bloodstream.
- It is also very efficient for weight loss. Working on the elliptical for only half an hour will burn on average 270 – 400 calories.
- The studies show that exercising on the elliptical puts significantly less stress on joints than running or jogging.
- This machine provides an upper body workout as well since it comes with handlebars we can move.
- The movements are a bit different from those we make while running and jogging, which means that the muscles are working differently. It takes some time for the body to get used to this, and sometimes injuries can occur.
- As it is low impact exercise, the bone density will not improve as much as it would with running, however with this machine you will see the results a lot faster.
Elliptical vs. Stair Stepper: In-depth Comparison
If you use it correctly, the elliptical works on hamstrings, gluteal muscles, quads, biceps, triceps, and abs. Using the stepper, you work hamstrings, glutes, calves, and quadriceps. So if you compare elliptical vs stepper, it is clear that the former works the upper body and latter us great for the lower body.
When comparing calorie burning with stair stepper vs elliptical, we have to consider that the latter allows us to perform high-intensity interval training. It is important because this type of workout burns more calories. The average person will burn between 180 and 260 calories on stepper while burning between 270 and 400 calories on the elliptical for the same amount of time.
When you make a comparison stepper vs elliptical, you see that they are both low impact machines. It means that whichever you choose, the impact on knees, ankles, or hips will be negligible compared to high-impact activities such as running. However, according to a lot of stair stepper reviews, this machine creates a stronger impact on the joints than elliptical.
Perceived exertion indicates how hard you are working during your training. Generally, both of these machines are designed for lower intensity training. However, when considering whether to buy a stair stepper or elliptical, keep in mind that elliptical allows for a more intense workout.
Aerobic and Cardiovascular Fitness
Looking at these pieces of home exercise equipment for weight loss, it is evident they have similar cardiovascular benefits. On the elliptical, you will burn more calories. However, when it comes to cardio exercises, judging by how fast you start panting, we can say that stepper does a bit more.
|Upper body workout
||It is not beneficial
||It is beneficial for arm and upper back muscles
|Lower body workout
||It is efficient for toning glutes, quads, legs
||It is also beneficial for lower body muscles
||It is very efficient for cardio exercises because it quickly regulates blood flow
||The effect on cardiovascular health depends on the intensity
||The maximum average calorie burn is 223 for 30 minutes
||The maximum average for 30 minutes is 335 calories burned
||The speed depends on the user; legs generate the power
||Excellent for hamstrings and quads; useful for overweight and obese people
||Lack of upper body training; doesn’t burn a lot of calories
||It can be complicated to use; higher risk of injuries
Verdict and Our Recommendation
And that’s about it for our stepper machine vs elliptical comparison. Although similar, some differences can help you determine which one suits your needs. So overall, if you have enough space and you want to lose weight and work on the entire body, you should go for the elliptical. However, if you are on a tight budget and want to focus on cardiovascular strength, the stepper is your choice. So how about it – which machine caught your attention and why? Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments, we would love to hear from you!