If you want to improve your muscle mass, energy levels, and reduce bad fat, you might have already thought about various supplements. Cardarine, aka GW501516 is one of the most popular supplements among fitness fans. Think about trying it too? Have read plenty of GW501516 reviews but still hesitate whether it’s suitable for you? Then you’re in the right place!
You’re right when looking for trustworthy information on supplements before buying them! This is your health on the line!
With the help of fitness experts, physicians, and nutritionists we bring you our science-backed post so that you learn everything you must know about the Cardarine supplement, medially known as GW501516. We’ve covered Cardarine dosage, its benefits and drawbacks, what to expect, and many more. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
- 1 What Is Cardarine?
- 2 Why Use Cardarine?
- 3 Usage, Dosage And Potential Dangers
- 4 What Science Says About Cardarine: An Overview
- 5 Cardarine: Overall Pros & Cons
- 6 Cardarine and Bodybuilding: Things To Remember
- 7 Conclusion
What Is Cardarine?
Cardarine, aka GW501516, or Enduborol, as it’s known on the black market, is a metabolic activator that differentially affects the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor δ (PPARδ), making it a PPARδ agonist.
This supplement was initially created to cure diabetes, obesity, lipid strain, and heart problems. Cardarine is considered to be capable of fixing metabolic abnormalities in pre-diabetic and obese individuals by stimulating fatty acid oxidation, increasing glucose uptake in skeletal muscle tissue, and burning fat.
Even though GW501516 (Cardarine) is an unproven supplement, some bodybuilders and athletes consider it effective and use it to improve stamina, boost energy levels, burn fat, and gain more muscles. But is Cardarine safe? What does science tell? We’ll discuss it below!
A Brief History
Cardarine was created in the 90s by GSK and Ligand Pharmaceuticals to cure diseases like diabetes, obesity, dyslipidemia, and cardiovascular problems. However, in 2007 further development of the drug was stopped because the study showed rapid cancer development in mice and rats. Later, Ronald M. Evans’ laboratory bought a sample of Cardarine and gave a high dose of the drug to mice, and it dramatically increased their physical performance.
This study was widely reported in the press, and ever since lots of discussions and research have been conducted. The results are quite contradictory, however. Although The World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) added GW1516 to the banned substances list, some bodybuilders and athletes use this supplement. That’s because it provides amazing endurance benefits and helps to reduce fat.
How Does Cardarine Work?
As we mentioned above, GW501516 (Cardarine) is a PPARδ receptor agonist. It means that the compounds bind to the PPARδ receptors to prompt particular biological responses.
The main results are:
- Enhanced oxidative volume in muscles – improved endurance and fat loss.
- Shifting the energy source from glucose to fat – results in glucose metabolism suppression. In other words, the body begins to use fat as an energy source. So this helps to reduce body fat faster. Besides, Cardarine prevents new fatty acid chains to form.
- Increased energy output – it’s the result of binding the drug compounds to the PPARδ receptors. Also, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor agonists are used to decrease triglycerides and blood sugar when curing metabolic syndrome.
Is Cardarine A SARM?
Selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) are drugs that work like androgenic steroids or anabolic. Such drugs activate tissue hormone receptors in a tissue-selective way so that androgens, e.g., testosterone, is capable of going to the tissue receptors with little to no risks of developing side effects.
The best SARMs are used as an effective treatment in different diseases like osteoporosis or muscle wasting.
Unlike SARM, GW (Cardarine) doesn’t impact tissue androgen receptors, it also doesn’t affect blood testosterone levels at all. Therefore, individuals who take Cardarine, won’t experience any side effects brought by excessive testosterone levels. According to the Examination of GW501516, this supplement is not classified as a SARM.
Is Cardarine Legal?
Cardarine is on the list of banned compounds by the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA), as well as the United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA), and the Australian Anti-Doping Agency (ASADA). Therefore, it’s not legal. Additionally, since this substance is not approved by the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA), it’s currently labeled as “not for human consumption” and/or “research chemical”, and is only meant for research purposes.
You must be aware that if you choose to take Cardarine, you might develop side effects, especially if it’s misused or abused. So, this supplement should be strictly handled under the supervision of licensed and qualified professionals.
Why Use Cardarine?
Although Cardarine was developed to help cure cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, nowadays, athletes and bodybuilders use this compound to improve physical and exercise performance since it’s believed to rapidly increase endurance and strength. Besides, fitness enthusiasts use GW501516 to stack with SARMs. SARMs focus on increasing muscle mass while Cardarine improves stamina and weight loss. Is it true? Let’s see what science tells!
What To Expect From GW501516?
As we already know, Cardarine binds itself with PPAR-delta, it activates PGC 1-Alpha that plays a crucial role in regulating the genes for energy metabolism. It raises the protein levels in the body. Plus, PRAR-delta slows down the growth of inflammatory genes, which, in turn, improves the overall healing capacity. For instance, if you get injured, the skin cells will cover the cut much faster than normal.
Now, what else to expect from Cardarine?
- Enhanced stamina – Cardarine increases overall body endurance. You’ll especially need it if you follow a strict diet and work out regularly.
- Accelerated fat loss – you’ll be able to notice an amazing fat loss after about 4 weeks from the initial dosage phase.
- Longer workouts – your body will be able to take more loads, therefore, the duration of the workouts will become longer.
Let’s take a look at the primary Cardarine benefits for bodybuilders and athletes:
- No interference with your natural hormones
Since GW501516 doesn’t suppress your natural hormone production, you won’t need Cardarine pct (post cycle therapy). It’s a huge advantage over other enhancers. Additionally, you can stack it with any SARMs, even Stenabolic.
- Enhanced cardiovascular performance
Cardarine will definitely boost your stamina. It shines during cardio sweat sessions, you’ll be able to push yourself to the limit. The effect normally lasts throughout the whole cycle.
- Improved muscle mass
If you follow a strict diet, you’re at risk of losing muscle mass. Cardarine is capable of preserving muscle mass during cutting. Activated PPAR-delta not only melts fat off but also induces muscle fibers.
- Reduced body fat
Since your stamina and performance are increased thanks to Cardarine, you’ll burn much more calories. Besides, this compound is well-known as a metabolism booster, it uses stored fat for energy, and this way speeds up fat loss.
Let’s sum up what Cardarine results we can expect. According to the examination of GW501516, the primary results will be improved endurance, stamina, and accelerated fat loss. That’s why bodybuilders use it for cutting rather than for bulking. During cutting, Cardarine will speed up fat loss and make cardio much easier; it’s even possible to lose up to 10lbs within 6 weeks. However, regular exercise and proper caloric intake also play a crucial role in the final results.
Usage, Dosage And Potential Dangers
During clinical research, GW501516 dosage ranged from 2.5 to 10 mg a day within 12 weeks. As we already know, further studying was halted due to high cancer risks, and the drug wasn’t formally approved, so there is no correct dosage for humans. Do remember that officially Cardarine is considered unsafe at any dosage!
Furthermore, research showed that in animals, GW501516 was hazardous during pregnancy. If it was consumed at high doses over an extended period, it posed high risks to fetal development.
keep in mind that blogs and forums may downplay Cardarine drawbacks, or give only a part of the information. But if you still want to use this compound – consult your doctor. Don’t risk.
Below, there is an approximate dosage a healthy individual may take.
Cardarine Dosage & Proper Cardarine Cycle
By knowing all the side effects, you should understand that this compound must be taken only in a safe dosage. Professional users recommend consuming 5-20 mg a day depending on the individual’s experience level.
5 mg is totally enough for beginners whereas experienced users can take up to 20 mg per day.
It’s advisable to divide the quantity into 2 equal parts and take it twice a day.
Speaking about Cardarine cycles, as well as SARMs cycles, depending on your purposes and exercise level. You can follow the next general cycle recommendations:
- Beginners – not more than 5 mg a day for 4 weeks
- Intermediate – about 10 mg a day for 4 weeks
- Advanced – up to 20 mg a day for 4 weeks.
Such dosages and intake duration will provide maximum results with minimum negative effects.
Note that Cardarine PCT (Post Cycle Therapy) is not necessary.
Stacking Cardarine With SARMs
SARM stacking is the process of consuming several SARMs during 1 cycle to maximize the results. It features a synergistic impact that can’t be achieved with only one compound. SARMs stacking accelerates the process of bulking, cutting, healing, and recomping depending on the cycle goals.
One of the huge benefits of using GW501516 is that it can be stacked with almost any SARM. The other SARM will depend on your fitness aims. However, Cardarine is primarily used for cycles that are aimed towards recomping or cutting the muscle.
Here are Cardarine sample stacks:
|Cutting Stack||Bulking Stack|
|Cardarine 20mg a day||Cardarine 10mg a day|
|Ostarine 25mg a day||Ligandrol 20mg a day|
|Andarine 50mg a day||YK 11 10mg a day|
Cardarine Side Effects
Unfortunately, along with such tempting benefits, Cardarine may cause negative effects. And before buying this supplement, you should be aware of them.
- Brain cell damage – the first animal study showed that mice who were given GW501516 had lowered amounts of oxidative stress and enhanced blood circulation. However, it was also discovered that Cardarine featured a pro-inflammatory impact on the mice’s brain cells. Therefore, the positive aspect of GW501516 on oxidative stress was soon nullified because of the high potential for brain cell damage.
- Danger on heart health – it was proved that small doses of Cardarine decreased inflammation and tissue damage in blood vessels and arteries of mice. Later on, the study showed that peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor agonists increase cardiovascular risks. In the laboratory, researchers added Cardarine to human heart cells, which led to an increase in the growth of new blood vessels. Such results can be really helpful for someone with heart disease, but harmful for a healthy individual or someone who has a propensity of developing cancer.
- Danger on the liver – liver is responsible for storing, burning, and releasing fatty acids into the body. By activating PPARδ receptors, the energy source is shifted from glucose to fats, reducing blood sugar levels – this is good news. The bad news is that further research showed that Cardarine causes liver cell death leading to fibrosis in mice and rats.
Cardarine and Cancer
People often ask an important question: Does Cardarine cause cancer?
As we touched on above, the first animal study showed fast cancer development in mice and rats. However, since then lots of other studies have been conducted, and the results are quite contradictory. For instance, recent research has revealed that Cardarine can induce cell death in cancer progenitor cells. It proves that peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor agonists are less likely to cause cancer.
On the other hand, the opposing data showed that Cardarine increased colitis-associated cancer in mice, but it’s still unclear why it happened.
To sum up, there are lots of scientific disputes around Cardarine and whether it can cause cancer in humans or, contrary, helps in inhibiting tumorigenesis. Note that it’s still unproven and banned in many countries.
What Science Says About Cardarine: An Overview
Originally, Cardarine was studied for this indication. PPAR-delta stimulates genes that are involved in fat burning and increases energy use. Several human studies have shed light on the Cardarine fat-burning advantages.
Next, GW501516 was associated with enhanced HDL cholesterol in two surveys of 305 people with low HDL. People who got this compound showed reduced LDL, apoB, and triglycerides.
And finally, in the other research of 12 people with an inactive lifestyle, Cardarine raised HDL. Those who got the compound used fat as an energy source and boosted fat-burning and carnitine genes – ABCA1 and CPT1.
Cardarine boosts fat loss and lowers blood fats, however, the available proofs are considered to be of quite low quality, especially taking into account potential dangers.
6 overweight volunteers showed amazing before and after Cardarine results, as the symptoms of metabolic syndrome were significantly reduced. For instance, insulin decreased by 11%, liver fat by 20%, and blood fats dropped by 23-30%.
Next, mice who received Cardarine produced less glucose and got more sensitive to insulin. If this effect was proven out in humans, it could help fight obesity and type II diabetes.
Cardarine was originally developed for enhancing fat loss and preventing obesity by increasing insulin sensitivity, fat-burning, and decreasing blood lipids.
Heart and Blood Vessels
Animal tests showed that Cardarine inhibited oxidative damage to blood vessels. Hence, it might lower the risk of plaque buildup in arteries by improving vessel-relaxing nitric oxide.
In mice, a low dosage of Cardarine reduced inflammation and tissue damage. It could help in clearing up blood vessels, hence, reduce heart diseases and complications.
GW501516 enhanced the growth of extra blood vessels in the human heart cells. It could be helpful for those who suffer from heart disease but pose danger for those prone to cancer.
Surveys showed that Cardarine can boost the growth of new blood vessels and secure them from inflammation and oxidative stress.
Animal tests revealed that Cardarine reduced inflammation, thus, protected against kidney disease. Besides, treated mice had a reduction in the activity of genes responsible for kidney disease – MCP-1.
There is little to no evidence that Cardarine could help treat kidney diseases in humans.
Anti-inflammatory and Antioxidant
It’s proved that Cardarine suppresses inflammation in animals. It hinders substances that are involved in inflammatory processes and decrease the activity of inflammatory genes.
When applied to the mice’s skin, Cardarine improved the healing of diabetic wounds, probably thanks to reduced inflammation. Furthermore, mice who received this compound produced more catalase and antioxidant enzymes SOD1.
In animal tests, Cardarine is associated with reduced oxidative damage, lower inflammation, and enhanced wound healing. Those are great results! However, considerable and trustworthy human studies haven’t been conducted and probably will never be conducted since Cardarine is too hazardous to test on humans.
The liver is one of the main targets for Cardarine since it stores, burns, and releases fats into the body. The compound makes the liver shift its energy source from glucose to fats, that’s how Cardarine reduces blood sugar. Initially, in mice and cell studies, GW501516 showed a positive influence on liver health.
Unfortunately, as we mentioned above in the article, further study revealed that Cardarine led to cell death, and fibrosis in animals with liver disease, making it too dangerous for human testing.
Cardarine was thought to be beneficial to the liver since it improved insulin resistance and stimulated fat-burning in animals. At the same time, it caused liver cell death and fibrosis, therefore, it may be hazardous for humans.
Muscle Growth and Stamina
Animal studies showed that Cardarine boosted muscle fibers development. It was associated with improved physical performance. Mice who received this compound had enhanced endurance and could run twice as long.
Improved stamina and muscle growth are the main reasons why athletes use GW501516. From this perspective, Cardarine is effective for both women and men.
Scientists assume that Cardarine might help to reduce inflammation caused by skin diseases, e.g., psoriasis. Activation of PPAR-delta was linked to lowered inflammation in human skin cells.
The research is limited, scientists don’t know for sure how Cardarine influences the skin.
Blood Flow and Wound Healing
Some researchers associate Cardarine with improved blood flow and wound healing. But again, there is little study.
Cardarine: Overall Pros & Cons
There is so much information on Cardarine! Easy to get confused. So let’s summarize the pros and cons of this compound.
|It improves stamina and endurance||Limit research|
|Burns stubborn fat quickly||It’s a banned substance in many countries|
|Preserves muscle mass||Risk of cancer development|
|Helps to develop muscle fibers||Risk of liver damage|
|May improves heart health if there is a heart disease||
Cardarine and Bodybuilding: Things To Remember
If you’ve decided to take Cardarine or any other supplementation, remember that it won’t work without natural bodybuilding methods. According to the evidence-based study, the following factors are vital for overall health and bodybuilding:
- Calorie intake – if you want to reduce fat, you have to increase the intensity of your sweat sessions while consuming fewer calories. More calorie burn while lowering calorie intake will result in a slimmer physique.
- Macronutrient intake – proteins, carbohydrates, and fats are vital for nourishing the organism. However, to achieve the desired results, the intake of all macronutrients have to be accurately calculated. It’s advisable to consult a nutritionist who will help create the most effective diet regimen for you and explain how & when to take Cardarine. As a rule of thumb, bodybuilders should consume more proteins to build muscles. Ketogenic diet effects vary from one person to another – in fact, there is little research on the effect of ketogenic diets on bodybuilding. However, some people report that such a diet is highly efficient during bodybuilding competition preparations.
- Timing of nutrient intake – it’s proven that carbohydrate and protein consumption before and during exercise enhances muscle protein synthesis and prevents muscle breakdown.
- Meal frequency – bodybuilders, as well as all people, have to avoid extreme highs and lows in eating frequency to preserve muscle mass and improve hunger control. However, proper macronutrient intake and intense training programs are even more important factors than the meal frequency.
- Nutritional supplements intake – approved nutritional supplements, proper diet, and workout program will maximize a bodybuilder’s results. Supplements are capable of providing an extra boost that athletes need to achieve better results.
- Micronutrients – bodybuilders should take Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Iron, and Vitamin D since these micronutrients may become depleted because of constant dieting.
- Psychosocial issues – any sports require mental strength and flexibility. Bodybuilders must understand the potential psychosocial problems intense workouts can bring. Some of these problems are obsessive behavior, anger, anxiety, and poor hunger control. Good communication is the key to prevent these issues.
Cardarine is a unique product, capable of improving endurance and stamina. But along with positive results, it showed lots of negative effects, including cancer. Moreover, no new, trustworthy studies will become available since this compound poses a significant danger to human health. In other words, it can’t be tested on humans.
Unfortunately, we can’t conclude that GW501516 is safe. However, if you choose to give it a try, make sure you know how to take Cardarine properly to minimize side effects. Talk to the doctor before deciding on such a step, and remember – your wellbeing is all that matters!